Postponed: ESSLLI 2020
Unfortunately, we have to announce that we have postponed the 32nd edition of ESSLLI, planned for 2020 in Utrecht.
It was very difficult for the ESSLLI Standing Committee, the Programme Committee, and the Organising Committee to take this decision, but the circumstances around the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic force us to.
Our considerations leading to this decision are:
- The health and well-being of the ESSLLI participants is our top priority.
- We want to maximize the opportunities for students, lecturers, and others to participate in ESSLLI.
- Almost all countries are struggling with the corona virus disease, though each is in a different phase, and the restrictions are in many countries even tougher than in the Netherlands.In the Netherlands, the Dutch government made the measures with regard to the corona virus disease stricter on March 23, and extended the duration of some measures to the beginning of June. It is at this point impossible to predict how the situation with regard to the coronavirus (COVID-19) will develop.
- We want to take away the uncertainty among the students, lecturers, workshop organisers and workshop participants and create clarity as soon as possible.
- Many other events and normal university activities (teaching, exams) are being postponed because of the pandemic and might very well conflict with ESSLLI.
We do not consider the full virtual variant of ESSLLI as a viable possibility because face-to-face presence is essential for teaching, networking, exchanging of ideas, and informal gathering in the social events at ESSLLI.
Together with the organisers of the 33rd ESSLLI (planned for 2021 in Galway, Ireland), we are investigating whether we can postpone the 32nd ESSLLI to 2021. As soon as we have confirmation that this is possible, we will invite all lecturers and workshop organisers to hold their (possibly updated) lectures and workshops in 2021 instead of 2020.
I am sorry to tell you such a message. We are living in a difficult period which affects almost all aspects of everyday life, full of uncertainties for its evolution.
Registration for ESSLLI2020 is now closed. All who already registered will be contacted personally to arrange reimbursement of fees paid.
I look forward to welcoming you at the 32nd ESSLLI in Utrecht at a later point in time.
Jan Odijk, Chair ESSLLI2020 Organising Committee
On behalf of the ESSLLI2020 Standing Committee, Programme Committee and Organising Committee.
- 3584CX Utrecht